The link for the map to look at on Moodle isn't the same one they use on the tutorial and that can be accessed on the site. Here is the link of the one I accessed from their site. It is interactive, easy to naigvate and much easier to understand.
After the last two lessons, I felt overwhelmed and thought that the task at hand was impossible. When looking at this map, I realized that we have been doing many of these things already, and for quite a while (making movies, software programs for educational purposes, blogging, podcasting, projects, websites for research, Infinite Campus, teacher websites with lessons/assignments/homework...). We still have a long way to go, but this calmed me a bit.
Two things from the map that made me think...
1. Under the topic of technical support, it stated that students need ready access to technology.
I'm very hesitant that this would happen. As it is now, it is hard to sign out a computer lab to do a project or activities online. Also, there is no money to purchase even a Elmo document camera with a project, or to pay for staff development, so I don't foresee there being enough money, if any at all to make the big change.
2. It had a picture of a superintendent saying he was diverting textbook money to technology.
I think this is a great idea, but if it was that easy, why hasn't it been done already? Many teachers/departments that get textbooks rarely use them and still pull resources from the Internet. I believe textbooks are aidable by the state, would technology be too if funds were diverted? (I may be wrong.)
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jen,
ReplyDeleteI agree that this can be overwhelming. But we really are already doing so much of this. I am impressed at how much our district does. We really are using 21st century skills. I think the bigger issue is how do we get the parents and the community involved?
"Many teachers/departments that get textbooks rarely use them and still pull resources from the Internet." To me that says it all. Digital resources of information can help any department that wants them. I don't want to say text books are going to become obsolete... I mean I do want to say it but still... but they are becoming less and less important.
ReplyDelete